Post Worthington Apartments – INSIDER REVIEW
The Post Worthington apartments in Uptown Dallas are literally just about in the exact middle of Uptown…technically in the Routh South area. This section has the highest amount of activity and night life. The Post Worthington is a mid-rise that is right on McKinney Avenue. That means that you will have quick walking access to the night life…and lots of visitors!
The building was originally built in 1991, but was changed dramatically with a renovation in 2006. But, even with the renovation, it retains quite a bit of character inside that isn’t present with other newer Uptown choices, such as the entrance, with its unusual arches and circular room. It had an ornate, almost small museum feel that is very elegant.
Post Worthington is the only apartment building here in this area in site. Everything else here is basically higher end shops, night clubs and retail strips and night clubs. The location of the Worthington is directly inside the “super cluster” of night clubs that runs for about 2 blocks, starting around Boll Street and McKinney. So, at night, it is busy!
During the day, because it is right on McKinney Avenue, this location is the only quick way to get to northern Uptown and 75/Central as well. So, during the day, there are many cars passing by. And, the Uptown Trolley, along with the city of Dallas DART Bus, pass by here as well. If you are someone that works from home, it will be easy to walk to quick lunches…there are many great lunch options all around. Take note, this is a location that is never lacking for people.
Getting to work: Getting to Downtown Dallas is relatively easy. You can take McKinney Avenue to quickly turn to Pearl, just a couple of minutes away. Or, you have the luxury of taking the Dart Bus or even the Uptown Trolley. Both of them will go into downtown Dallas (the Trolley is more limited). If you work in North Dallas, or need to get to the DFW airport frequently, you have a very quick access to the North Dallas Tollway using Cedar Springs, which is about 3 to 5 minutes away during the day (you hit a light). You are on the Tollway in a few minutes…and can then zoom to North Dallas, West Plano or the North Dallas Tollway. And, keep in mind, when you live in Uptown, you are AGAINST traffic in comparison to others in Dallas, so you travel more quickly in your direction than if you went the other way.
The 4 Key Features of Uptown Dallas? It is important to be able to access the key features of Uptown Dallas…the features that make Uptown UPTOWN! Uptown residents are not big on having to walk far like in other cities. So, walking distance means to be in 7 minutes walking or under. Here is how Post Worthington apartments does in terms of being WALKABLE to the 4 Key Features of Uptown:
- Night Life in Mid-Section – Many people think of a “super cluster” section of night clubs along McKinney Avenue around Boll Street that we describe above as the “night life” of Uptown Dallas. While this isn’t the only area of Uptown for night life, it is the area with the most night clubs in one small section. The Post Worthington is literally right next to it, located inside of it! Definitely walking distance.
- Uptown Trolley – Umm…the Uptown Trolley is right outside the door of the Post Worthington! This Uptown Trolley will not only take you to the other key features of Uptown, but it will also take you to DOWNTOWN DALLAS. Walking distance…check!
- West Village – Post Worthington is in the middle of Uptown. In the NORTH of Uptown Dallas, there is the WEST VILLAGE, with so many shops and restaurants, all in a few blocks. The West Village is NOT in walking distance to Post Worthington. However, it is a quick trolley ride to get there, or a quick drive.
- Katy Trail –The Katy Trail is a wonderful semi private running trail that goes through Uptown Dallas. Residents of the Post Worthington can most quickly to the Katy Trail using the Beasley Entrance at Hall and Turtle Creek. This is not in quick walking distance, though.
Walk to Groceries? It’s not in walking distance, but it’s not far:
- Whole Foods is just a few minutes away on McKinney
- Tom Thumb is in Victory Park, about 6 minutes away
- Walmart Neighborhood Store is about 5 minutes away in State Thomas
Overall Location: This is a VERY good location if you want to take in the full night life of Uptown Dallas…you are right in the middle of it. This is a very social area. It is also great because of the quick access via trolley or bus to downtown or other parts of Uptown. Please note: there are a lot of night clubs in this area and they stay open late. This is not a quiet area and it can get a bit noisy here.
The social scene of the Post Worthington apartments is very busy. If a main goal of living here is to meet people here, you are going to have a lot of opportunities. Here are the reasons:
Super Cluster of Clubs in WALKING DISTANCE: As we mentioned before, you are in the super cluster of night clubs right on McKinney by being here. There are some great restaurants too.
Area is heart of Uptown: You really can get to anyplace in Uptown very quickly at the location of the Post Worthington.
Building Setup: Post Worthington does have a key entrance, but several entrances into the building are available. So, not everyone goes through the same set of doors or elevators. There also is no common area for mailboxes, but more than one. This creates less opportunities to meet other neighbors during the common daily routine.
Monthly Activities: Post Worthington gives you MORE opportunities to meet neighbors when compared to other Uptown choices. They’ve got a monthly activity with residents not only of the Post Worthington, but other sister properties…making a lot of people available to meet. They also have sports clubs for their residents, including kickball.
Size: The Post Worthington has 8 stories, and 334 apartments. That is above average for size in Uptown. That is pretty packed for 8 stories. That means a lot of people in a smaller area.
The Amenities: The amenities of Post Post Worthington are slightly above average for Uptown Dallas. The gym and the pool are designed to draw a lot of people. They don’t have some of the more luxurious amenities found in other apartments in Uptown, but they have enough to draw people to them.
DOWNTOWN has Options: There really are quite a few places to quickly get to, and being closer to downtown makes that even easier. There is the obvious: sports (Mavericks, Stars) and live concerts at the AA Center that is in WALKING distance. You can also visit the Arts district that is just about 4 minutes away. You also have Klyde Warren Park, Perot Museum, and the Katy Trail entrance. Translate: Plenty of “cool, trendy” places to enjoy.
To sum it up: The location, along with the multiple social activities, will give you plenty of opportunities to meet people. The location is the biggest draw, but if you don’t like to drink, you may not like this location.
Style: The style of the Post Worthington apartments are more traditional. The apartments have a design that is a bit older, but they have revitalized it to make it attractive. There tends to be smaller kitchens and boxier rooms. The apartments also seem a bit smaller than usual, but they do use their space well. The apartments are not luxurious, but they do have some more luxurious features.
Variety of Floor Plans: There is a high level of variety in the floor plans. This ranges from a tiny efficiency, to small one bedrooms to larger 2 bedrooms with study. The smaller one bedrooms give a more reasonable entry point if it is just one person. The 2 bedroom floor plans are affordable but are on the small side, such as the 932 sq. foot starting 2 bedroom. But, they also have a penthouse floor plan, and also a 2 bedroom with study floor plan that can be used for 3 people.
Strengths: The Post Worthington apartments have these strengths:
- Granite Countertops – Attractive and lighter colored.
- Hardwood Floors – they are standard here (in the living room)
- Warm kitchen cabinets – the wood cabinets are a dark, warm color and are delightful, if not plentiful.
- Newer appliances – Stainless steel or black appliances are present.
- NICE Size Closets – These closets here are GREAT, very nice size. They have a LOT of shelving in them.
- GAS COOKING – FINALLY, finally, you can cook with gas in Uptown! Everywhere else is electric.
Normally I always mention AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT. The Post Worthington didn’t have much to speak of, with the exception of:
- Smaller Kitchens – the kitchens are noticeably smaller.
- Patios/Balconies NOT INCLUDED – Patios/Balconies are typically NOT included here.
- Programmable Thermostat – A programmable thermostat is NOT included.
- Washer/dryer NOT INCLUDED – Ugh.
- Walk in Showers – They are not included. The building was built before these became more standard.
Summary: The apartment shows its age somewhat in the design, which limits features to be included. But, the management has done what it can to keep things updated.
The amenities at the Post Worthington are slightly above average for Uptown Dallas Apartments. This is not the largest set of amenities in Uptown Dallas. But, they do have some GREAT ones! They also include the important features you would need. Please see our REAL VIEWTM Gallery for photos!
Let’s take a look at some of the Strengths:
- KICK BUTT GYM – This is my favorite gym in Uptown for hardcore weightlifting. You’ve got everything you would need here for benching, curls, etc. And, it has glass windows that face out towards McKinney Avenue, for a perfect view while you are pumping iron!
- Small Convenience Store – Inside the building is a tiny, but welcome, convenience store for your necessities. NICE, and RARE for Uptown!
- Healthy Restaurant in Building – For quick meals, you have a great option right in the building called Greenz.
- Pool – the pool are is a good size, and it faces a lot of interior apartments.
- Parking for 2 in a one bedroom: They will allow both cars to park in the garage at no extra cost if you have 2 occupants in your one bedroom.
- Garage Parking – yes, it’s included and no extra charge!
- Views of Downtown – Requesting an apartment on the 5th through 8th floors will get you those downtown Dallas views that many of us love.
- GUEST ROOM for RENT – They do have a guest room available to rent. Makes it very handy for relatives.
- NO Amenity Fee – Thank you!
Here are some AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT:
- GUEST parking NOT INCLUDED: Guests are charged per night. For being such a social area, this is something that should be changed.
- Pets – no dogs – This might be a positive for some people. Dogs are not allowed here, only cats.
- No Concierge –for how large the Post Worthington is, it would be nice if there was a concierge of some kind.
- Older Amenities – many of the amenities are older and need to be renovated.
Overall: Amenities are definitely AVERAGE for Uptown.
Post Worthington Apartments are a perfect option if your goal is to be in a highly active part of Uptown Dallas, where you can quickly walk to night life and clubs. The apartments themselves are decent, but just above average only. The amenities are average but distinct in Uptown (the convenience store, the gym!). This is a place to be if you want an instant social life and a lot of activity all around you. But this is NOT a place to live if you mind night noise and want to get regular sleep!